Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Monday, February 27, 2012

One Cheap Cookie!

I know my blog is based on my Crockpot, my Wok, and that sort - and these were not made in either of those, but sometimes a CHEAP, homemade cookie is needed. My kids (and I) prefer homemade cookies to Oreos and Chips Ahoy's - and in between paychecks, I cannot afford to get macadamia nuts, and fancy coffee to make awesome cookies. These are a staple in my kitchen, and the kids - they are peanut butter fans like myself. If I could find a way to dip peanut butter in peanut butter I would. :-) So, here is my simple PB COOKIE RECIPE.


1 cup Peanut Butter (I used Honey PB - such a good touch!)
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg


Preheat your oven to 350. Mix the egg and the sugar until well blended. Then mix in the peanut butter until thoroughly mixed. Ball up dough into the size of cookies you want. I like big cookies, and my kids share well. Place on a slightly greased pan. Take a fork and dip it in some sugar, I prefer brown sugar, and press the fork on the cookie in both directions. Cooking times will vary depending on the oven. My cookies took 11 minutes. The house smelled of delicious honey peanut butter. HEAVEN! You can always add a Hersey's Kiss into the middle for a thumbprint Peanut Butter cookie. I want to try the mini Reese's Peanut Butter cups. With the above ingredients, I made 15 medium to large sized cookies.

1 cup of Kroger brand Honey Peanut Butter (The jar cost $1.79, I only used a 1/3 - $0.60)
1 cup of Kroger brand sugar (5lb bag was $2.89, 1 cup would cost $0.26)
1 egg (Dozen cost $1.79, so 1 would cost $0.15)

These cookies cost me $0.41 cents to make since I had a coupon for free peanut butter, but without my coupon it would cost me $1.01 and that breaks down to $0.07 a cookie. These cookies are about the size of the Grandma's cookies that come in the individual packs, so I would say 7 cents a cookie is pretty good! Are they the most healthy choice? No. But, you don't need to avoid EVERYTHING that is not entirely healthy. :-)  It is all about moderation. Hope you enjoy my frugal cookie. :-) Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. How do these not have flour and not be goo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I wondered when I first started making these, but it must be magic. They are perfect everytime!

      Delete