Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Baked Potato Perfection (#5)

I have strayed from my initial intent of making 30 meals that can be prepared in the Crockpot that are enjoyable for my family of 5. The added challenge is that I do watch my caloric intake, and sometimes that doesn't mesh with a 1, 3, and 6 year old. But, I grew up loving potatoes in every form! (Except hash brown and tater tots... don't ask - they are just WEIRD!) And how can you go wrong with a baked potato? Are they cost friendly? Yep. Calorie Safe? Yep. Kid Friendly? OH YES!

Large Baked Potato - 220 Calories
1 Pat of Butter - 36 Calories
Salt, Pepper and Basil - 4 Calories
Low Fat String Cheese - 60 Calories

This is how I prefer mine, and it is filling at only 320 calories. With the kids (or myself) I will add a couple pieces of grilled chicken (70 calories for a serving size which is all a baked potato needs - Making it 390 calories.) Now on to my Crockpot!


Potatoes, seasoning, foil and Bertha!
Yep, I named my CP!
So, I started with four large russet potatoes. I washed them, and forked them. Hehe... Laid out 4 pieces of aluminum foil for each tasty treat. Take the pat of butter and place one half on the foil. Rub your potato down with the desired seasonings. Today, I used salt, pepper and basil. When the potato is seasoning to your liking place it directly on the half pat of butter. Than add the other half of the pat on top, and wrap your potato nice and tight in the foil.


The wrapped potatoes ready for their steam!
You then have the option of cooking them on high for 2 to 4 hours, or on low for 5 to 6 hours. This all depends on what you are doing while these cook. :-) That is the beauty of the Crockpot. It works around YOU.


Seasoned before its descent into Big Bertha!




I cooked them for 3 hours on high, and I could smell the awesomeness coming for the CP. I checked on the top one by seeing if a knife would easily pierce through, and it did. So I knew then the were done. If I forgot to mention, ZERO water is needed in this recipe.



And the verdict...
These were AWESOME!!! Crispy skin, tender inside and the seasoning was perfect. When I checked the potato to see if it was done, I sliced in half, placed a string cheese in the middle and wrapped it back up. Placed in the CP for another 10 minutes, and it was a wonderful melted potato. I know that you can nuke a potato in the microwave, and that makes life SO much easier - but the taste is worth the wait. While these were cooking I got a lot accomplished:
1) Took a nap
2) Talked to my Dad on the phone (about my Crockpot obsession)
3) Dishes
4) Watched a stupid dance movie. :-)



On my final note before I say adios until tomorrow's Crockpot Superbowl - I know many may think I am crazy with my Crockpot, but I find myself a bored eater. Taking the time and thought that Crockpots require, it limits my overeating. And it helps maintain my weight. Until tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment