Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Enchiladas a la Crook in a Crockpot (#7)

The only photo of this meal. :-(
Valentine's Day? I love this day. Not for your typical reasons. My kids are still little, and EVERY holiday is an excuse for shaped pancakes, food coloring and crafty fun. So, when I was scheduled to close at work, I wasn't too upset. (That is until I realized that I would be missing a new Glee, New Girl and Raising Hope!)

My husband's favorite thing I make is enchiladas. How to prepare him enchiladas when I am gone to work ALL day? Let's see if my CP can come to the rescue.

1] I took skinless boneless chicken breasts (on Valentine's Eve) and tossed them into the CP with 2 cans of red enchilada sauce, some diced up green chili's and let the CP do its thing on LOW. And in the morning, I got up shredded up the unbelievably tender meat - taste tested of course! It was Momma approved!

2] Warmed some corn tortillas up in a little of the enchilada sauce. Spooned some meat into the middle, rolled up and placed in the CP. I continued until I had finished one layer. Sprinkled sharp cheddar cheese on top with a drizzle of the sauce, and continued to layer. As you can see, I layered in a pyramid design. This was for ease of taking them out.

***My fear is that they would be soggy instead of the slightly crispy that we enjoy. ***

3] I put the CP on LOW, and headed off to work. The hubby said, they were done AND crispy in about 2 1/2 hours. SCORE one for my CP! He topped with a little sour cream, and enjoyed for lunch and dinner.

When I came home from work, I was excited to take a photo, and what I came home to was a single enchilada, an empty CP and 4 red sauced stained plates in the sink. Meal #8 a la Crockpot was a total SUCCESS! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment