Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup (#23)

On nights when Michael works, the kids and I can indulge in soup. My hubby is not much for soup eating. I, on the other hand, LOVE soup! And tonight, we have Loaded Baked Potato Soup in the Crockpot!

The finished soup, garnished with basil
from my kitchen herb garden!


The Ingredients
2.5 Pounds of Russet Potatoes
2 Cloves of chopped Garlic
1/2 Chopped Yellow Onion
32 Ounces of Chicken Stock (low sodium)
1 Block of Cream Cheese (fat free)
Bacon (low sodium Turkey bacon)
Parmesan Cheese
 
 
Chop up your potatoes, we like bite-size chunks in our soup, so ours are a little bigger than we see at the restaurants. It is really what you prefer. I also leave the skins on because it is the good for ya part of the potato, and they are YUM. Toss in your garlic, onion and chicken stock and cook on low for 8 hours.
 
The first time I made this, I followed the recipe to a tee. They instructed to puree the cream cheese in the soup. It was more dishes to transfer the soup to puree it, and I found that having the cream cheese sit for about 30 minutes, and adding it to the Crockpot works wonders. It does require a little attention with the stirring, but I prefer to keep the large chunks of potatoes. Makes the meal seem more filling that way.
 
On to the garnish. :-) My favorite part. I substitute pork bacon for Turkey bacon, our local store has an amazing low sodium Turkey bacon that is to die for. My kids don't really know pork bacon, so they don't taste a difference. I chop up the bacon, cook it and stir it in the soup. True, that doesn't make it a garnish really, but I like bacon throughout. Low-fat Parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top and served.
 
This is one of my favorite soups, and GREAT for those cold winter days. I do hope you enjoy this version of Loaded Baked Potato Soup. So happy for it to be winter and the soup making to commence! Until next time...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment