Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Sunday, November 18, 2012

How Do I Feel About Food?

That is a BIG question for me.
 
In the last several years I have realized this is how my Mother showed me her love, as well as my Grandmother. Being raised in a Mexican household, this love consisted of tons of lardy tortillas and plates that large enough to feed a small army. Even when combating diabetes and other health problems, my family never budged on their style of eating.
 
When I entered adulthood and moved to Mississippi, not much changed. In the South - love = food in the form of fried chicken and just about fried everything. I found that I one of the ways I show Michael I care is making sure I cook dinner every night. The kids and I love to cook together. It is one of my favorite times with them. Yum! In 2010, I began the fight. And I was very successful. And proud of how I looked and felt.
 
During the last year, I have slipped quite a bit. Not in the weight department so much, but on how I was eating and feeding my family. The result was a sluggish feeling throughout the day, and feeling tired after a full night of sleep. I woke up this morning, and realized that is how I used to feel. And I did not like it then, and I certainly do not like it now, especially since I am well aware of how awesome the extra energy and less pounds feel.
 
11/18/12
marks the day that I make the permanent change in our lives. Yes, there will be some things I cut out completely that I will not expect my husband to cut out, like soda. Although, since I do the majority of the cooking, this change will be for everyone in my house. I am very excited to begin again, and I look forward to the extra energy.
 
A few things that will become staples in my life will be:
 
1) No soda. I don't particularly like soda. I am a social drinker. (Haha, sounds funny - but true) I genuinely love ice cold water, and I will just get used to the crazy looks I get when I order just water.
 
2) 3 miles of walking or running - 3 days a week. I am going to work my Netflix workouts back in too, but the little ones make it difficult to commit to a certain amount each week.
 
3) Pack my lunch EVERY day.
 
I look forward to updating my blog with my success that I am sure will be incredible. :)
 
4) - Positive thinking.

1 comment:

  1. 2) If they won't let you get in a proper "workout", dance with the kiddo's, you'll get your exercise and hopefully they'll get tuckered out enough that you get a few extra "lovebuggin'" minutes...

    Thanks for the bloggin', keep you the good work!!! Can't wait to see all of your smiling faces next year! Love ya! Aunt Dawn

    ReplyDelete