Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Thursday, November 22, 2012

sMashed Potatoes (#24)

Thanksgiving Eve.

Just got off work, heading to the store for the items I forgot when I was pre-planning. Haha. I am doing a lot of firsts this go around. I don't do pies and I am making a low-fat Chocolate Cream pie and a Gluten Free Sweet Potato pie for my little sister-in-law. :) (And an apple pie!) Thinking I will head to the store in the morning, and try my hand at a Strawberry pie - kind of in a pie mood.

But the magic happened in my Crockpot. My in-laws are the masters of instant mashed potatoes. They are good, but this gal grew up with boiled, peeled and mashed deliciousness of homemade smashed potatoes. Crockpot mashed potato recipes are all over the Internet, but most start with boiling on the stove. I consider it a CP recipe if I cook it ALL in my partner in crime, Sir Crockpot.

Finally, I found one. I didn't add all the extra ingredients that the author of the recipe did. I just needed to know how long they needed to cook in the CP. I like potatoes enough to know they don't need all the bells and whistles.

What you need:

*5 pounds of potatoes (I used russet this time, but Red and Yukon's work great too!)
*2 cups of chicken broth (or 2 cups of water and a bullion cube)
*Milk
*Fat Free Cream Cheese

The How:

1)Quarter the potatoes and toss into the Crockpot.
***You can peel or leave the skins on. I am a fan of the skins and I use the excuse with others who don't like them, that they are where you get the good stuff from. You can also cut them smaller if you need them to cook quicker. Add your chicken broth, or water if you prefer.

2)Cook on high for 4-5 hours, low for 7-8 hours - and then mash. (Depending on the amount of liquid left in the potatoes, you might want to drain. I had very little, and left most in for flavor)

3)The rest is really to taste. Everyone has a preference with smashed potatoes: fluffy, thick, chunky, etc. You add 1/2 block of FF cream cheese, and blend. (More or less to your taste) And then slowly add milk until you reach the consistency that you love.

I have to tell you, these taste incredible. And plus, it left a spot on the stove top open and allowed me to nap while I was waiting for the oven to open up for my bird. I love turkey. :) I hope everyone has an incredible holiday. Make sure you thank God, not only today - but everyday, for all he has and will continue to bless you with. My pastor said something that has stuck with me all week:

"If you woke up this morning with only what you gave thanks to God for yesterday, what would you be left with?"

Now, that is food for thought! Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment