Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

White Rice a la Crockpot (#2)

Why hello again. Let me just begin today's adventure by saying, I LOVE WHITE RICE! It is definitely a staple in the poor man's recipe book. I remember eating fried hot dogs and white rice! (My kids LOVE it with a little BBQ sauce) Now when cooking for a family of 5, white rice can be a hassle. :-)

But have no fear, your Crockpot is here! I was very iffy about rice in a Crockpot. Rice cooking that long concerned me. Rice flavored paste is what came to mind when I decided to try this. :-/

So, on to the recipe. It calls for the same ratio we are all used to - 2 cups of water to every 1 cup of rice.

Step 1} Rub your Crockpot with butter lightly.
Step 2} Pour your rice in.
Step 3} Add water and a pinch of salt.
Step 4} Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours depending on your Crockpot.

***I cooked 2 cups of rice with 4 cups of water. It took about 2 hours and 45 minutes. And VOILA! It was rice just like at my favorite Chinese buffets!

We had some leftover chicken, and so I threw it in the wok to warm it up. Added bell peppers and some Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce, and called it a day. I had purchased some fortune cookies from Walmart, and that was on the side and the kids LOVED it. (As did us adults.) I will say this is being added to my list of handy "GO-TO" Crockpot recipes, with a side of WOK work. :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment