Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Beginning of my Garden...again...

This was the start of my WONDERFUL apartment garden.
The start of anything is a plan. So, this is my start. I was the proud Momma of an indoor garden when we were in the apartment last year. While my love should have been enough to have a harvest on wonderfulness, my heart was breaking during the close of my store (Borders) and the garden died. Not to mention, some jerks who found it humorous to pull out all my lettuce. JERKS. But, I now have a yard, and a BEAUTIFUL window seal looking out to the backyard that will allow me to prep, then transplant. I figured, if I blogged about this plan - I would feel obligated to follow through, Give my green thumb a shot.

What to grow? I am going to grow all the herbs I can imagine...

This was my old window garden... RIP
  • Sage
  • Thyme
  • Cilantro
  • Rosemary
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Chives
  • Parsley
  • Mint
I am planning to have these in Mason jars in my kitchen. As for the outside...The possibilities are endless! I know the kids want to grow carrots to feed the horses that are next door at the pond. The others I am planning are:
my 1st attempt at lettuce
Outdoor window garden

Lettuce
Tomatoes
Peppers
Squash
Radishes
Strawberries
Green beans
Onions
                                                     Spinach
and Potatoes... I have read that these are very easy to grow, just require some love. We are gonna try these in a container setting first. I am so excited to start this. This is one of the main reasons I was so excited to move into this house. I don't have a day off for 8 more days, but I have the first weekend in February off, and I will have everything ready to garden ALL weekend. My oldest, Malakai loved to helped me garden in the apartment. Maybe, we will plant some pretty flowers so Alannah will get involved. Kal'El will just enjoy playing in some dirt. LOL... Until next time - pray for me to have some green thumbs!

2 comments:

  1. I am so anxious to get a garden going here too!! I had a bad turn at gardening last year so I'm hoping that this will work out better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of our gardens will florish this year. I can feel it... I hope!

      Delete