Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My life POST 1984...

I read it.
Mission accomplished.

My thoughts:

Topic #1: E-Books
I can't do it. At least not right now. I like the feel of pages. The smell of the pages, and until Kirkland's brings back the sachet that smells like books, I can't do it. Topic over. :-)

Topic #2: Readers
I am excited that we have a new reader, Amanda! We worked at Borders together also. Unfortunately she can't meet with us because she moved her happy behind to Florida. But, she is super friggin smart, and brings a lot of good points (and explanations) to the online discussions!

Topic #3: 1984
This book did a lot of things - none of which made me want to read it again. I questioned my own government quite a bit. Considered how much of our history is a false or altered telling of what actually happened. It also made me grateful for the freedoms we have that often get overlooked: free thought, will, and speech. This book was a very extreme Nazi like government controlled society.

There were days I felt for Winston. When he began to question Big Brother, I had hope. I love a good rebel, almost as much as a good love story. Enter Julia. (Or the dark-haired girl to start) Is she a spy? No, she is a rebellious insider. They form this relationship and receive help to continue this relationship by a Mr. Charrington. (My favorite character throughout almost the entire book.) Winston and Julia are in love. And to top it off Winston meets with O'Brien and learns of the Brotherhood who is against Big Brother, and he plans to join and basically live happily ever after. In a world of chaos and no freedom, you get the sense of hope with the relationships taking place. With all this going on, I still don't become attached to any of the characters, I just don't get a lot of development or emotions to latch on to - which leads me to continue to hope to see a glimmer of emotion or a character I love. The one character I find myself liking, Mr. Charrington turns out to be a member of the Thought Police which leads to the capture of Winston and Julia. Winston is then tortured in the worst ways imaginable - rats!

The issue that I have wrapping my head around this book is that the characters in the books I normally read are the "I will die for you" in love type of characters. The fact that Julia and Winston turned on each other just breaks my heart. (Maybe they should find themselves a vamp, shifter or a Fae. They love hard. :-P)

Then after all the torture - you are released, and after everything you fought and did not believe in is suddenly OK in your world. 2+2=5 now. What in the world??? It just switched. Ended. Oh man.

*deep breath*

Topic #4: Final Thoughts
When all was said and done, Amanda (being her smart, insightful self) brought up an interesting thought:

Was Winston ever released? Throughout the novel, there were several hallucinations. What makes you think he was actually released, and that he is not just imagining freedom? Perhaps as a coping mechanism. Now, my mind continues to wander.

And thus, my first check mark on the list of 101 Books You Should Read Before you Die.

No comments:

Post a Comment