Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Thursday, March 22, 2012

My 1st Meatloaf in the Crockpot (#8)

Late Thursday shifts at work have me partnering with my Crockpot those nights. Today, I choose to be brave and make a Meatloaf. I do not eat meatloaf, but my children and hubby LOVE meatloaf. What a perfect day to make it, I will not be home for dinner. :-) I have received several recipes from people, and I just prefer to keep it simple. With the 3 little ones, I do not always have time to chop onions and all the other details that June Cleaver had time for. I choose to experiment with the Stovetop stuffing version.

For this meatloaf you will need: 1 pound of Ground Beef, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of Stovetop stuffing mix, 2  tablespoons of Ketchup and a pinch or two of Basil.

I mixed the egg and the meat until it was completely mixed. I then added the basil and the ketchup. I put the stuffing mix in a bag to crush it into smaller bits. Combine the stuffing mix and the meat and form into a loaf. You may be wondering why I am making a small loaf... Well, this is my first meatloaf, and I want to make sure it comes out ok. Plus, we are not big leftover eaters. :-) I then sprayed my Crockpot with a non-stick cooking spray, placed the meatloaf in, and turned on high. To prevent the burning of the top, I spooned about 2 more tablespoons on ketchup over the top.

You can cook it on low for  6 to 9 hours, or on high for 3 to 4. I choose to cook on high, so I can see it almost done before I lead to work. You will need to drain the fat from the pan. If you are home during the cooking, you want to do it every couple of hours. I am partnering it with Parmesan mashed potatoes and green beans. I hope this meal is enjoyed, because it was VERY easy to prepare, and could become a go-to meal for me.

AND THE VERDICT IS...
It was a success!!! The kids and hubby loved it! This is going to be a regular on my menu rotation now! The picture below might not be great, but the empty plates when I got home were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment