Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sloppy Joes (#16)

WOW! It has been over a month since I have posted. :-( With work, potty training (with no luck yet) and reading more than I have in a while... I have neglected the creative meal planning. Now, I am still planning meals a month in advance, and spending $300 or less for a MONTH of meals for this family of five. (A skill that will be listed on my resume... LOL, as if anyone would NOT be impressed.) So, I am learning to balance a little more, at least that is what I would like to think. Last night, when I got home from work - I tossed a roast, potatoes and carrots in a Crockpot and then spent the evening watching movies with the Hubbs. (Rebound, with Catherine Zeta-Jones... EXCELLENT!) Then, when I got up this morning, Dinner for today was done. We spent the morning cleaning, and now the kids are playing... I am blogging, and I will have ample reading time today. :-) So, this is a meal that I have not shared yet, that my kids ADORE. I am not a Sloppy Joe fan, but the other 4 are... so on nights I close, this is the Hubby's go to meal. And the kids do not complain. In fact, I am sure they would eat it 3 nights a week, but that is NOT happening. (Once a week, yes. :-) Gives me a soup night, since I am the only soup eater...) So, here is the ingredients. (Now this is for 20 sloppy joes, which is what we do - Good next day lunch go to.)


3 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped, about 1 cup
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 (12 ounces) bottle prepared chili sauce
1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste
Sprinkle of Brown sugar, to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


So, I will brown the meat (on my Griddle, since I am anti STOVE/OVEN) and add that and all the other ingredients to the Crockpot, and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. THAT'S it. I know what you are thinking... the canned stuff is good, but this is better. (Well, I have heard.) My kids prefer this kind, and plus I KNOW veggies are making it into this way of Sloppy Joes. Anywho... I will try to be more consistent. I have 6 weeks left until my goal date for my goal weight, and I have 1.4 pounds a week to lose to meet it, and so I am being more cautious, which will lead to more posts. I am LOVING my CP still, but becoming more adventurous with my waffle iron and Griddle. So, expect more fun stuff!

We have also been experimenting with S'Mores thanks to my best friend, Beckie and her hubbs, TJ. I love the Reese's S'More the best. Second comes Butterfinger, and third is classic. Not to fond of the Milky Way version, even though I LOVE THE CANDY BAR. More experimenting to come. Until next time...Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment