Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crockpot Sourdough Bread (#12)


I did not have the gadgets Google referred to, so  I Googled so more...


Ta-Da! Sourdough!!!





Besides another Crockpot, I have always said "I WANT A BREADMAKER!" I love baking bread, and it tastes SO delicious. :-) Thanks to the almighty Google, I have found that your Crockpot can double as a Bread Machine. So, now I need another TWO Crockpots. I can cook dinner, bread and dessert all at once. <3 This gal would be in kitchen heaven.



The dinner complete with
Cranberry Roast (a la
Crockpot) and my Sourdough
bread (a la Crockpot)
It may not be the PRETTIEST bread ever, but I had to use foil
in place of a trivet and a round pan.
About 1/2 way though its
cooking process :-)





Ready to rise!!!
So, I have an amazing Sourdough recipe that I will share, but for this trial run of my Crockpot's alter ego as a Bread Machine, I used a boxed mix. :-) The mix still required the yeast (packet included) with the allowing to rise, and all that jazz! While it was rising, I fashioned a shelf to place over the boiling water added to my CP. This will be where my bread is being baked my steam. When you add the bread to the foil cooking shelf, you will also want to cover it the top with foil, so the condensation from the lid does not soak your bread. I found it easier to wrap the lid with foil, so it just catches during the cooking process. It took 3 1/2 hours to cook to perfection. (On Low) I found a tip that said to flip the  bread about half way through to create a crust on both sides. And it worked. The top was cooked if you do not flip it. The difference is that is do not have the same crust you associate with bread. I flipped the bread during the last 30 minutes, and received a good crust on both sides. So, here are the simple steps:

1. Add water to cover the bottom of the Crockpot about 1/2 inch.
2. Crumble foil to create a shelf to protect the bread from the water. (It said you could use a trivet, and a pan made for your Crockpot, like an insert. I had neither, and so I used foil.)
3. After you have followed your favorite recipe, and it is ready for the "baking" setp, place the loaf in the Crockpot, and cover.
4. Let cook for 3 1/2 hours. Cooking times may vary, but this Sourdough took 3 1/2 hours.
5. Remove from the foil when done cooking. (It can go back in the Crockpot on "WARM" for up to 30 minutes before a meal and not hurt the bread)
6. Slice and ENJOY!



Now, I promised to share my favorite Sourdough recipe (which works wonders in the Crockpot too, got excited and made another loaf. Practicing on the shaping of bread)


Ingredients
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 3 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F), divided
  • 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Cornmeal


Directions
  1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of flour until smooth. Cover loosely with a towel. Let stand in a warm place to rise for 48 hours; stir several times daily. (The mixture will become bubbly and rise, have a "yeasty" sour aroma and a transparent yellow liquid will form on the top.) Stir in milk powder, butter, sugar, salt, remaining water and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. (Do not knead.) Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Turn onto a floured surface; punch dough down. (Do not knead). Divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf. Heavily grease baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place dough on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes across tops of loaves. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Brush loaves with cold water; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. 


Final note: I think I love Sourdough because the kneading is not there. I am wanting to venture and make a cinnamon raisin bread for breakfast. :-) Exciting!!!  I would love everyone to share their favorite bread recipes. Making bread is one of my favorite "RELAXING" things. :-)        

No comments:

Post a Comment