Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.

"...booksellers really are a special breed. No one in their right mind would take up clerking in a bookstore for the salary, and no one in his right mind would want to own one - the margin of profit is too small. So, it has to be a love of readers and reading that makes them do it - along with first dibs on the new books." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Shaffer & Barrows)

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Enchilada Soup (#19)

I have been playing with recipes for Chicken Tortilla soup, and nothing is quite like the one Albertson's used to sell. YUM! And I stumbled across one that uses enchilada sauce. So, I tried it. (This house LOVES us some enchiladas.) The recipe is super simple. It took me 15 minutes to gather and toss and the ingredients into the CP and I was on my merry way to work. Got home 8 hours later and the kitchen SMELLED amazing!

I adore soup! (As does my daughter, but that is it. The boys do not care for soup, so they had chicken nuggets...LOL) I like the chicken tortilla soup recipes that lean more towards the clearer broth, but this recipe was thicker and way more filling.

1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce
2 cups of chicken broth (low sodium)
1 cup of diced tomatoes (fresh from a WONDERFUL co-workers garden!)
1/4 cup of diced green chills
1/2 ounce (1/2 shot) of minced garlic
1/4 cup of diced onions
1 cup of frozen corn
2 teaspoons of chili powder
pinch of salt (which was NOT needed!!!)

I sprayed the CP with a cooking spray and toss the chicken in, and then covered it with the remaining ingredients. Covered, and cooked on low for 6 to 8 hours. :-)

POST - CP

Pour into your bowl, top with Queso Blanco (or the cheese of your choice) and fried (or baked) tortilla strips and ENJOY!

I enjoyed this soup, and so did Alannah. She calls it "Momma's Special Soup!" Next time I will do without the salt, it was not needed at all. I made a pot and was able to eat from it for 2 dinners and a lunch. Looking for other variations to experiment with. Will keep you posted!

What Mexican dishes can you not live without? Mine is enchiladas! Tamales during the holidays. And I sure do miss a big ole serving of rolled tacos from Saritas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment